G Live has been developed as a contemporary, state-of-the-art entertainment and concert hall for Guildford and the region beyond. Built for Guildford Borough Council by Willmott Dixon Construction with design by Austin-Smith: Lord, G Live offers inspirational architecture that is radical, yet fits comfortably within its landscaped surroundings. G Live aims to set the standard for the finest live entertainment in Surrey.
G Live's Building Features
The Main Hall
- Flexible seating - 1031 seats and up to 1700 combined seating/standing using the unique retractable folding seats to create a flat floor space for rock concerts
- Comfortable seats which provide unparalleled views and modern air conditioning
- An orchestra pit which has a hydraulic lifting platform that can form an extended stage
- A sprung floor with a walnut top surface
- Large triangular 3D acoustic deflection panels on either side of the hall
- The hall benefits from the most sophisticated acoustic installation using an electro-acoustic enhancement system that accommodates varying acoustic requirements by adjusting reverberation levels using a remote control system
- A building that is fully accessible to all patrons, staff and visiting artists
The Bellerby Studio
A versatile 100 seat space with integral bar where you can experience something that will surprise and inspire, with a range of performances, creative workshops, gigs and events.
The light-filled, breath-taking spacious foyers offer contemporary, cool, modern spaces where the G Live Café-Bar offers fine coffee, an extensive and contemporary wine and beer list, along with bistro-style daytime and pre-show food in the classiest, most exciting venue in town, but also caters for the modern-day need to be ‘connected’ to the Internet, for business or pleasure, through all manner of mobile devices using the free front-of-house high-speed wireless broadband.
There are stylish Bars on each level, serving a range of quality wines, spirits, beers, real ales, soft drinks, teas and coffees. To avoid interval rush and crush, drinks can be pre-ordered.
Did You Know?
- G Live has over 640 tonnes of structural steel in its construction – the weight of 140 African elephants.
- Approximately 190 miles of electrical cabling which is enough to stretch from the venue to Shrewsbury Seven Theatre.
- There are two miles of pipe work installed and over a mile of ductwork for ventilation.
- G Live has over 3000m2 of roof area – equal to five tennis courts.
- There is 1200 m2 of glass installed which equates to 1.5 basketball pitches.
- G Live has recycled 80% of the structural materials of the old building in the new build.
The sustainable design and environmental benefits of G Live have been recognised with a BREEAM 'Excellent' rating. BREEAM (BRE Environmental Assessment Method) is the leading and most widely used environmental assessment method for buildings. It sets the standard for best practice in sustainable design and is the measure used to describe a building's environmental performance. G Live achieved a score of 74%, beating the BREEAM “Excellent” threshold of 70%. G Live also scored 90% of the available credits for management and water, and 96.5% for energy and transport. G Live provides an example of good sustainable design and construction to venues across the country.
Operated by HQ Theatres on behalf of Guildford Borough Council, G Live is destined to become the region’s landmark venue for the performing arts, culture and entertainment. Not only does it feature a fabulously wide-ranging programme of events onstage, but also offers purpose-built conference and corporate hospitality facilities, all in a stylish, contemporary and welcoming setting.